Physics at the Large Hadron Collider
A New Window on Matter, Spacetime and the Universe
Harvey Newman, Professor of Physics at Caltech, gave on January 13, 2010 an Earnest C. Watson Lecture about the physics at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The presentation slides can be downloaded as:
Click here to view the recorded lecture (official Caltech recording will be available on 29th Jan 2010).
We have now embarked on a new generation of exploration at the frontier of high energies as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) comes online at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland. Caltech physicists and students, together with colleagues from universities and laboratories around the world have participated in the exciting startup of the LHC and the experiments last Fall, and are now leading several of the searches for new physics processes at the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment.
Using CMS and the LHC, two of the most complex instruments ever devised, and new methods developed at Caltech, we are preparing to search for the Higgs particles thought to be responsible for mass in the universe, as well as for supersymmetry, evidence of extra spatial dimensions, excited states of electrons and muons, and other exotic new particles and forces of nature. This lecture will review physics at the high energy frontier, the startup of the LHC program, and the road to discoveries that may emerge starting next month and continuing for the next 15 years or more.
LHC & CMS
- To learn more about the Large Hadron Collider
- The Large Hadron Collider Homepage
- To learn more about the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) Experiment
- The CMS Times Newsletter
- Searching for the Higgs" by Gail Hanson, UC Riverside
Online Video Resources
The LHC, the largest scientific program in history, has spawned numerous videos aimed at young scientists or the general public. Here is just a sampling, from the latest news from the LHC and its experiments, to the widely viewed "Large Hadron Rap".
- LHC News - A monthly series of updates on the status of the LHC repairs and the experiments preparations
- The Latest News from the LHC: December 18, 2009 - End of Run with High Energy
- Brian Cox on CERN's SuperCollider (March 2008)
- Large Hadron Collider - The Search For The Higgs (May 2007)
- LHC Particle Acceleration In-depth Explanation (September 2008)
- CERN (and the LHC) In 3 Minutes (2009)
- Large Hadron Rap
- CERN: 50 years of Science (2004)